Saturday 23 March 2024

389. The French Pantry.

 



 See previous Blogs 242 and 303.

  The French Pantry has been described adequately in the two previous blogs and there is little need to go over it all again except to say that I was determined to lunch there again during my most recent stay in Ludlow, lusting as I was for another bowl of the restaurant’s fine French onion soup with its spectacularly overstated and utterly gorgeous cheesy crouton which is so big you could float across the river Teme on it. Magnificently rustic and on this visit, I thought better than ever. A triumph of flavour but I suppose to be picky, the beautifully tender strips of onion which filled the bottom of the bowl might have been a little sweeter though others may not agree.




  More rustic delight followed as I chose my main from the choice of two specials - I declined the wickedly tempting pig cheek ragu and instead opted for a fabulous smoked haddock, leek and sea food gratin (which I suppose might equally be called a fish or fisherman’s pie) though being forced to choose between the two mains mildly endangered my mental health for the time until my gratin arrived when I realised that I had made the right decision and my anxiety was resolved. The dish was rustic, it was bold, it radiated flavour, it warmed, it cheered, it comforted and delighted and it was generous in portion size and honest in presentation. I concluded, as I ate it as voraciously as the pie’s heat would allow, that I really do like dining at The French Pantry.



  For dessert I opted for the lightest dish on offer - a refreshing and happy lime posset countered and enhanced by blueberries. This was a pleasant dish.





  I look forward to my next visit to The French Pantry.

Rating:- 🌞


No comments:

Post a Comment