Wednesday, 30 September 2026

566. Vieni. Sicily Beckons.

 




  After an evening of great fun and enjoyable rustic food in the style of Italian Futuristic cuisine at Kaye Winwood’s GULP in the Jewellery Quarter the night before, I returned to that particular area of the city for Sunday lunch and was comfortably seated in Vieni happily contemplating the pleasure of the Sicilian-style dishes which were to be presented to me while sipping a glass of Nyetimber Brut.



  As a starter I chose venison and ‘n’duja (kebab) tarongia (pizza-like bread, the dough of which includes red wine) with sumac yogurt and pickled chill. I was surprised by just how delicious this was - spicily hot but not excessively so. The soothing element of mint balanced the heat of the spices splendidly. This was a sort of mini-burger - burgers not being my usual first choice when dining out but I thought this particular genus of the burger family was delightful. 

  Next I had pappardelle basking in a toothsome short rib ragu.The pasta attractively had the right degree of bite to it and the ragu oozed flavour. The dish was dotted with green peppercorns and the whole was anointed with pecarino. Not perhaps the most elegant-looking dish but its edibility pleasure quotient was not in any way reduced for that.





  As a main, and bearing in mind that it was Sunday and beef seemed the most appropriate choice, I ordered Dunwood Farm chargrilled beef (Dunwood Farm is located in the Staffordshire Moorlands and has small herds of rare breed cattle and Herefords, Longhorns and Aberdeen Anguses) served with halved king prawns and king prawn butter. The outer crust, the bark, was deeply flavoured and delicious from the chargrilling while the inner meat was beautifully cooked and tender and nicely seasoned. The prawns bathed in prawn butter were delicious and perfectly textured. and the flavour of prawn was full and delightful. This surf-and-turf triumph was a real gem of a dish.



    My appetite was nicely satiated and so I chose to combine a very light desert with my coffee by choosing affogato and that was very satisfactory.

    Vieni seems to have got to where it probably wants to be - the food is robust and generous and tasty and thoroughly enjoyable. This visit to Vieni had proved to be a very happy way to eat Sunday lunch.


27 September 2026

Rating:- 🌞

No comments:

Post a Comment