Thursday 12 November 2020

116. Some Journey, Some Book.


  








  Not so much a coffee table book as more a banqueting table book (I suppose quite fittingly) the tome which houses Glynn Purnell’s latest voyage into writing is bigger in physical size and heavier than any 18th century family Bible would ever have aspired to be and in and out of its slipcase it’s also rather beautiful. I do like gorgeous books as much as I like gorgeous food and when I have one I often carry it around with me for days after I have obtained it but alas I can not do so with Glynn Purnell’s book unless I am prepared to run the constant risk of seriously rupturing myself.

  This book is a great pleasure to possess. I have it on my heaving bookshelf next to my much loved 1966 copy of the English translation of Michel Joyant’s book of Toulouse-Lautrec’s The Art Of Cuisine and the signed copy of the more modestly sized but memorable Salt Is Essential (and other things I have learned from 50 years at the stove) by West Midland’s gastronomy pioneer Shaun Hill.

  There’s every reason to say when you first catch sight of A Purnell’s Journey There And Back Again the words “Self” and “Indulgent” but when just grazing on the first few pages of this autobiography-recipe book-photography book hybrid any such curmudgeonliness melts away as he recounts his childhood days in Chelmsley Wood which summon up thoughts of the old Hovis advert and decent, devoted family life of the hard-working, striving working class Brummie family, devoted to each other, of times gone by. It’s all about Birmingham, the struggle to achieve, food (of course) and family. 

  With forwards by Sat Bains, Andreas Antona and Claude Bosi, chefs with instantly recognisable names make appearances in the pages of the book as Purnell charts his career with anecdotes that illuminate the kitchen to the reader as much as any ‘Chef’s Table’ will for the diners at it. 

There are some wonderful touches. I like the lining of the case that contains the book itself - it is the pattern of the wallpaper in Purnell’s. A nice little touch.

Great stuff indeed!


























No comments:

Post a Comment