Sunday 15 March 2020

89. Brad Carter On Saturday Kitchen.


  Brad Carter, Chef Patron of the Michelin-starred Carter’s Of Moseley, appeared as one of the guest chefs on BBC1’s Saturday Kitchen on 14 March and presented one of the dishes sometimes sold at his at his restaurant - Scottish dairy beef with wheat grass and bone marrow. I have only visited Carter’s once before (see Blogs 5 and 12) because I dislike Moseley and having to travel there and I feel I should go to the restaurant again though if anything, despite this being a very well thought of restaurant by many, Carter’s dishes aren’t all to my taste and with a no choices menu and some of the dishes being just a little bit eccentric I dislike the thought of having something I wouldn’t have chosen forced on me particularly when I’m paying for it.
  The programme was interesting as Carter stated that he liked serving food along with the food that the creature would have eaten itself. I suppose if he serves frogs’ legs he might try to find a way to also serve flies which would be a splendid realisation of the old joke about there being a ‘fly in my soup’ - this would not be so innovative as he already serves, as Alex Claridge famously once did at The Wilderness, ants to deliver a lemon flavour (see Blog 1). I’m not sure what flavour flies would hold in them.
  It was good to hear the Brummie accent, which he has, let loose on a BBC programme. After Glynn Purnell’s hosting of the programme the week before the BBC seems to be coming along leaps and bounds in giving more recognition to the West Midlands and its people and they way they speak. Perhaps it’s all to do with Peaky Blinders.

Brad Carter





  And this is what to drink with your plate of Scottish dairy beef, bone marrow and grass:- 


Add caption

  At last year’s Ludlow Food Festival I very much enjoyed the talk given by Suree Coates who for many years has had a single-handed, small fine Thai food restaurant in Ironbridge. I was very sorry to see on a Midlands news report two or three weeks ago, when the flooding of the River Severn was at its worst, a picture in the report which showed that her restaurant, Suree’s Kitchen, had been badly affected. The good news is that the restaurant was able to reopen on 5 March. It’s a place I dearly want to visit (I would have gone before but there was a long waiting list for a reservation). It’s distressing to see small businesses affected by these calamities after all the efforts their owners have put in over the years to keep their establishments going. But it’s pleasing to see how quickly people can bounce back.
  And now the Coronavirus problem will be a blow upon a bruise for many dining establishments whether they have recently been affected by flooding or not.

Suree Coates

The riverside flooding at Ironbridge with Suree’s Kitchen clearly affected.

“I’m back” Facebook message.



No comments:

Post a Comment